Wednesday, October 04, 2006

fun things

Yesterday was not so great a day...C was just a difficult human - disobedient, crabby, mean to her sister etc. I was late for Bible Study again because of one of her tantrums. As I listened to her screaming, I decided I needed to do something for myself so decided that after Bible Study, we would go to Goodwill.

I did well at Goodwill. I got 11 little golden books for 30 cents a piece. Including some classics that we had but were in poor condition (The Shy Little Kitten was one), some by illustrator Eloise Wilkins, and some fairy tales. My children have more collections of and individual books of fairy tales (and nursery rhymes for that matter - two of the Eloise Wilkins books were her Mother Goose with different covers). Three different wooden shelves that I can decoupage and use as gifts. Two clipboards (I love clipboards for collage). A wrapped Walnut Hollow clock form - can't wait to decoupage it!! Two plates for the girls (Aladdin and Lion King). A plate from a tiered candy dish that has three sections. I am taking some advice from Lisa (Groggy Froggy) and using it for beads. And my most exciting purchase a huge swan soup tureen with a lily pad leaf for under it...I think I will use it to store supplies as it suits how I decorate down here in the basement. Of course, last night I regretted the spending of money, when Tim came home – he was upset about the car – the Subaru is almost ten years old and really starting to show age but as he pointed out there is nothing we can do about it. To me it is not so big a deal...the engine is sound and will run forever – Subarus do that but appearance is important to him and we do not have the money to work on it.

While the girls napped, I cleaned. Then the most exciting time of the day occurred. They started waking up. I could here K opening and closing drawers in her room but didn't think much of it. When I heard the crash, I still didn't think to much of it as I figured she simply pulled out a drawer, so I did not hurry as I went upstairs. Imagine my surprise and fear to open the door and see the dresser pulled over onto the ground and not K? Fortunately, she was in the corner and safe...how she avoided being smashed and hurt under it, only God knows and I am sure it was by His Grace. I called several friends in my mental distress and my dear friend in Florida said that there had been news reports in the past week of a child being killed in a similar incident.

When Tim came home, he spent his evening putting child safety latches on all the drawer pulls. The girls were wild but he still thought I should go to prayer meeting. So I did and it is good. I am so glad that they have resumed prayer meeting. It is so refreshing to spend time praying to God with fellow believers.

I will post a few pics of my parents and the girls from this weekend. In one, I am amazed at the expression of C and my Mom - they look so much alike!!









6 comments:

  1. HI.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. What a gorgeous family you have. Peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is God's Grace that keeps our families safe. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely family. And boy, they do look alike in that pic. lol Same exact expression. What a great photo to have.

    I went to Goodwill today, too, but I didn't get much. It sounds like you made a terrific find and I wouldn't feel bad at all about the money considering how much you are saving on gifts by making them...and there have to be gifts, right? :)

    I'm glad you went on to prayer meeting. I skipped choir tonight but I don't feel bad about it. I was just t-i-r-e-d. Lately my body just goes "ok, that's it...sleep now."

    I hope you'll take pics of the soup tureen and the tier with the beads in it! Thanks for giving me credit. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll try to do a pic of the tureen and the tray - I love photography and I love finding things to photograph and photographing people - but photographing my own objects always seems such a chore!!

    I know about running out of steam...I do it monthly - - I think for me it is a sleep deprivation issue...there is so much I love to do, so much I want to do, and so much I feel I ought to do that there is simply not enough time in the day so I cut myself shorter than I ought...

    Next time you go to Goodwill, it will be a bonanaza! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:17 PM

    Beautiful pictures!

    I love Eloise Wilkins. To me, her pictures are exactly like I remember the things of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete