Friday, June 22, 2012

Sequoias - Part 3 - The Coolest Place - Grant's Grove


The last stop of the day during our visit to the giant Sequoias was Grant's Grove. Above is a shot of the General Grant, because of where it stood, we found the General Grant much more impressive and beautiful than the Sherman. King's Canyon is prettier than Sequoia too.


The feet of a leader. I read that one of the weaknesses of sequoias and one of the leading causes of the demise of a tree is the shallow root system. Fire seldom kills them but they topple easily.


Maybe it was because it was late afternoon/early evening when we reached the grove and so I had a whole day to figure out how to photograph these spectacular trees or maybe it was just the Grant Tree but I found the place much easier to photograph.




At the Grant Grove, there is also a tree known as the Fallen Monarch. As I mentioned earlier, sequoias usually shatter when they fall, this tree did not. The theory is that it fell in deep snow and therefore did not hit the ground hard. Whatever the case, this fallen tree has protected various explorers and settlers over the years, has held a saloon ,and served as a stable for U.S. Calvary Horses during the late 1800's.


Inside the Monarch.


Somewhere on K's camera resides the photo hubs took of me taking this shot.


The roots of the monarch with a standing giant behind.


The girls give a size perspective to the monarch's feet.


Here is another fallen giant and one of the highlights of the trip. This tree is burned out clear through and provided a fun and unique experience. Tim and the girls climbed the throat of a giant.






Here is a view from the top of the giant to the bottom. Do you see C waving to me at the bottom?

Visiting the giant sequoias is one of the coolest things I've done in a really long time. If you get close, make a side trip to see them. 

BTW bonus points to anyone who can tell me the significance of the Tim's t-shirt. :)

Yesterday, we went to Virginia City. It was loads of fun with lots of kitschy touristy stuff but also with some fascinating history.

9 comments:

  1. I have agree with you, the General Grant tree, is much more impressive! Thanks for sharing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive tree and photos! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:02 PM

    Les Miserables

    rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos...and you'll have to spill what the t-shirt means. I have no clue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun and exciting trip! Wish I could take off and get away, even for just a day. So glad you had such a memorable and fantastic time!
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love trees. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No idea about the T-shirt. We tried cheating by googling it but didn't have the whole number so came up empty. :)

    Sequoias are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, I think Virginia City and all of its "museums" is just hilarious. Is the "Bucket of Blood" saloon still there? My husband had to get a tee-shirt from there.

    I love the sequoias that we saw near Yosemite. To me they should be listed among the wonders of the world - so fascinating. I love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa - Amazing shots, I am learning so much through your posts. It looks like you are making lots of memories.

    Not too sure about the shirt, please tell.

    ReplyDelete