Monday, November 07, 2011

a credible illusion

Mary's costume consists of a scarf and a safety pin.

For at least four years (I honestly can't remember when I started) I've been taking Nativity Photos for the 3's, 4's, and 5's at church. In the past, we've relied heavily on borrowed costumes. We have a small stash of our own stuff but most of what we use, does not belong to us.

In the spring I bought a pattern for nativity costumes, because I did not think we could continue to rely on a borrowed source. However, my summer was so busy, I didn't make a thing.

Joseph's robe is a old (ancient) boy's bathrobe and often doubles as a shepherd's robe in our costumes.

This year, we have been unable to acquire our costumes from our source. We will probably get them in a week or two, which will make the photography portion of the event very short and stressful.

On Sunday, we started with what we have (most of which you see in these photos).

Good props, obviously help - a staff goes a long ways towards making a shepherd.
Today the girls and I went to Goodwill and bought a bunch of stuff that I hope to convert into costumes. One thing that I've learned over the years is that with this sort of thing illusion is almost better than something well made - so I will try my hand at illusion.
Wise man bearing gifts.

Follow that star!!

A large napkin and the belt off my helper's sweater made his head covering.

The shepherds were sore afraid.

This wise man's robe is a a tablecloth folded in half.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful illusions! The photos, as always, are beautiful. You have inspired me to try to make a few illusions myself with my boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're doing a great job with costumes. The pictures are precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome photos.

    PS Oh this is a subject dear to my heart ! I love Nativity costumes, I think simple ones are the best. We were Shepherds and the costumes were sort of repurposed blankets and sheets and a few blankets, and lanterns and sticks. I have a photo here!
    http://letsgoflyakiteuptothehighestheight.blogspot.com/2010/12/nativity-parade.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiufl photos!! I agree that the illusion is often better than the the perfect costume. It means much more to!!

    Sorry I haven't been around much. Just now starting to be able to come out of the darkness.
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm all about illusion over here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job and the kids are adorable which provides plenty of distraction!

    ReplyDelete