Thursday, May 22, 2008

heartache


There is no pain greater than this; not the cut of a jagged-edged dagger nor the fire of a dragon's breath. Nothing burns in your heart like the emptiness of losing something, someone, before you truly have learned of its value. Robert Salvatore

I don't know how many of your have heard about this tragedy but I wanted to share it with you. Stephen Curtis Chapman's five-year-old daughter Maria was accidentally hit by an SUV in the family's drive way and killed. The driver was one of her older brothers.

I was a huge fan of SCC when I was a teenager and we recently bought the Christmas album that featured his three youngest daughters (one of whom was Maria).

The girls are never allowed to play in the front yard unless I am with them - but they do like riding their bikes in the driveway. They are very good about stopping before the street, but...

I am seriously considering what Meredith at Like Merchant Ships just did in response to this tragedy.


5 comments:

  1. There are no words and since my kids are older I don't worry so much about them in this instance--plus they have a path around the house where they ride. Still, just last week my son walked up to the car while I was driving and scared the heck out of me. We have had quite a few discussions about being anywhere remotely near moving vehicles at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so desperately sad.
    You know, there are times when I think the personal hits us more deeply than the massive tragedies.
    Like everyone, I've been shocked at the natural disasters and loss of life in Myanmar and China. But. and this is probably something about lack of imagination, the sheer scale of the thing evokes less emotion in me than individual tragedies of the type you mention. Perhaps its just too big to identify with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even imagine.

    I have thought about buying one of those "Children At Play" signs for my yard since people drive 40 mph in my neighborhood even though it is 25 mph speed limit. My son scares me to death sometimes so I think I need to figure out a way to keep him safer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very sad that this happened. I cannot imagine how that family is feeling, to lose a child, and have another child consumed with the guilt of causing it - how easily it could happen to many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I read about this I was so shocked . I can't imagine what this family is going through right now.

    ReplyDelete