Wednesday, December 01, 2010

The White Tree of Gondor - Banner for a Boy

I don't know how many of your remember the shield I made for my husband for Father's Day. It had the White Tree of Gondor on it from LOTR.

When my nephew visited during the summer, he was quite taken with the shield. In addition, to becoming attached to the shield he learned a verse about it from my daughters and they ran around quoting it all the time.

As a result, I decided to make him a banner with the tree and the verse on it.


I found an image of the tree on the web. I wish I had found the one I used for the shield, I liked the shape of that tree better.



Then again maybe I am glad I didn't find it. It would have taken a lot longer to embroider!! I used dress maker's paper to transfer the image to the black fabric and then I embroidered it with white embroidery floss.

I found stone 'beads' that I sewed down for the seven stones and fake gems that I glued down as the stars.


I printed the verse on white fabric using my printer and some freezer paper.


Here is the text for the verse:

Tall ships and tall kings three times three.
What brought they from the foundered land
over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones and one white tree.

When I added the trim, I ripped out and restitched the trim for the section above the text. It still isn't great. :(


I used fabric from my stash. The text is printed on scraps from some pillows I made a few years ago, the tree is stitched on the back of an old black denim shirt, the backing of the project is fleece, the hanging tabs are remains of some double fold bias tape from an old project several years agao (no more tape left). :)

I had to buy the stones and the gems.

I will be sharing this at:









Hump Day link

20 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful. I like both trees but I especially love how the banner turned out. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just glorious! He will be so excited to receive it!
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treasure he'll receive! It's absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are LOTR people here and this is so pretty and well done Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know anything about TLOR (never watched) but I think this would br an awesome gift! Great job :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you were my aunt...

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always I am impressed with the cool and intelligent kids in your family. They run around quoting LOTR! Beautiful piece, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW you are so clever. Your husband is going to LOVE that, it is very thoughtful and special!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOTR Trilogy are my favorite movies ever!!! Especially the second one! These are awesome projects and extremely brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll make sure my husband doesn't see this or he will want one too... Not sure I could pull this off

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melissa...it's beautiful! How long did it take you to embroider that? Gorgeous work! Thanks for sharing. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's brilliant, how wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Boy, you have been busy! I think it looks perfect. What a lovely Aunty you are!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a special gift for your nephew! A creative idea -- and you used up some of your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW, you did a great job on that Ÿ Thanks for visiting me over at Pittypat Paperie. Hope you can drop by again sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stoking the imagination, eh? Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you're back, Melissa! I've missed you. ;) Your Tree of Gondor is wonderful. I know your nephew will be excited with your gift.

    Thanks for linking your creative talent to my party each week.

    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. The banner is fantastic! Awesome embroidery! and I do remember the shield which is also awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OH that looks fantastic! Great job!
    Thanks for linking to A Round Tuit.
    Hope you have a lovely weekend.

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad you linked this up. I love it so!

    ReplyDelete