Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Serving Spoon Wall Hooks



This idea is certainly not new with me. I've seen it around, however, I would like to think I personalized it and improved it.

In many examples, I've seen the silverware is glued to the board. I screwed it in for durability.



How I made these:

First, you need to flatten your serving spoons. Many places suggest placing them between towels and hammering them flat. I have arthritis in my hands and that did not work for me. Fortunately, my husband is an engineer who works for a company that does a lot of its own machining. I went to his work after hours with a bag full of silverware and flattened it. :)

Second, you will want to paint your boards. I distressed mine because I like distressed. Do whatever tickles your fancy.

You will want to bend your spoon before attaching it to board. Holding the cup of the spoon on the edge of a table and bending the handle around the table's edge worked well for me.

Now here is why serving spoons are nice. They come with slots in them. The slots make built in holes for screws (plus, I think they are prettier!!). Screw your spoon to the board.

Add a hanger to the back for hanging the board on your wall and you are done.



I am sharing this at:






The Girl Creative




Prior

20 comments:

  1. I love it, how super cool. What a great way to repurpose old silverware that you don't use....hmmmmm, now you've got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Thank you for sharing your idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo. I LIKE this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this! I have a couple of little plaques made with spoons and my sister n law has some coat racks made with spoons. I just love the look of the pierced serving spoon. Love the distressing you did to the wood to!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look at those and can't imagine being crafty enough to pull that off! So cute and clever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these so much!!! Thanks for sharing! Love Laurie from Scene of the Grime

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melissa, This is completely new to me and I love it!! Super clever and gorgeous to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! How ingenious is this! What a great idea - I LOVE it! You did a great job, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. L-O-V-E this! i must make these!! saving in my "crap to make" list :)
    have you ever seen where people use spoons or forks for handles on their kitchen cabinets, i love it.

    *come take a looksy at my blog too if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great idea! Can't wait to keep my eye out as I'm thrifting for some old serving spoons....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it. Thank you so much for linking up again to Upcycled Awesome over at www.thetshirtdiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. WHAT A GENIUS! I'm gonna make this to create an antique hook! Really awesome~! Oh i tweeted this post, i hope you don't mind.

    Dita

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melissa, I love your rendition and I agree, the screws are a good idea... I worry about the just glued ones...The detail of the spoon on the bottom is great! Thanks again for linking up to Prior Lives Party! Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are simply adorable and so chic! I just love the aged look of the wood and the cut outs on the spoons! So very clever! I'm visiting from New Friend Friday and I love new friends..so hop over to FFD and check me out! Happy weekend to you!!
    ~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous5:50 AM

    I'll try this one more time. Are they both mine. They or it will go in my kitchen and will be used to hamg my aprons on. Love NLM

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did a wonderful job. Got any more that you'd care to sell?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun and great idea! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow - what a wonderful idea and these look fantastic - not something I have seen before either!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice idea. I like it!
    Feel free to stop by asouthernbellewithnorthernroots.blogspot and see info on an upcoming link party called Storytellers, starting Sept. 1.

    ReplyDelete