Tuesday, May 18, 2010

faux stone

Last week, I mentioned that the previous week, I had taken pictures for one of the second grade teachers at my children's school. My daughter had Mrs H. last year and I am quite fond of her. So when she asked if I would photograph her last Castle Day event (she had hoped to work one more year but due to financial issues the school asked her to retire this year so my second doesn't get her next year, unfortunately) I said yes.

Mrs H goes all out.

There is a feast:


A joust and other entertainments are provided.


This year, they even had a dragon!

As part of the unit, the children and their families build a castle. How they do it is completely up to them. Oddly enough, this is the first time I've photographed C's castle from last year.

C had a Rapunzel tower complete with a moat.

The tower is made of two cookie tins and one heavy cardboard gift box covered with rocks and drywall compound to make faux stone.

Rapunzel is something of a fairy princess, her gown being made of flower petals.

The moat has beautiful koi in it.

Flowers and birds decorate the tower.

C's beautiful tower leads to my latest craft bust. I wanted to make my Mom a tissue box cover that looked like rock embedded with seashells.

When hubs came home the night I finished it he asked how my day went. I told him. I finished a project and it turned out how I expected and I didn't like it.

Oh well. What do you think Mom?


I used the faux stone technique that I wrote about in this tutorial at Suite101. It is important to remember that if you are doing this technique to cover a large area that you anchor it with glued elements such as the stones we used in C's castle or the seashells on this tissue box.

I am sharing this at:

These Creative Juices: Letting the Creative Juices Flow

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:06 AM

    what were you doing putting this up at 4:50 a.m.? You should be in bed sleeping. I am not sure that I like it either. I like the seashells but can't say I care for the rest of the decor. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Rapunzel tower. That was my favorite childhood fairy tale.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I think its amazing!

    ReplyDelete