Monday, February 18, 2008

Graham Green: The End of the Affair

The sense of unhappiness is so much easier to convey than that of happiness. In misery we seem aware of our own existence, even though it may be in the form of a monstrous egotism: this pain of mine is individual, this nerve that winces belongs to me and to no other. But happiness annihilates us: we lose our identity.

Graham Greene

Hatred seems to work on the same glands as love: it even produces the same actions. If we had not been taught how to interpret the story of the Passion, would we have been able to say from their actions alone whether it was the jealous Judas or the cowardly Peter who loved Christ?

Graham Greene


If I stopped loving Him, I would cease to believe in His love. If I loved God, then I would believe in His love for me. It's not enough to need it. We have to love first, and I don't know how. But I need it , how I need it.

Graham Greene


Greene, Graham. The End of the Affair. Penguin Books, 1999. ISBN 0-14-029109-1

My review of this thought-provoking book.

3 comments:

  1. I had forgotten that one. I enjoy Graham Green and read that one ages ago. Good stuff. And beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:38 AM

    Wow deep words. I will read your review later...must dash back into the chaos, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd not choose to read a book about someone who passionately hates the person he once held dear. What a waste of an affair.

    But then, I doubt a writer like Graham Green would know any other way. Sad for him...

    Mari-Nanci

    ReplyDelete