Wednesday, November 29, 2006

the branch from Jesse



A tree removal service says in its advertisement that "Stump grinding is the process of grinding the remaining stump and root system of the tree to below the ground level so that the ground can be restored to a level area." in order to do this they "completely grind away the tree stump so it doesn't grow back. We chase the root systems as well." The obvious benefit is that the tree WILL NOT grow back.

Then I said, "For how long, O Lord?" And he answered: "Until the cities lie ruined without inhabitant, until the houses are left deserted and the fields are ravaged, until the Lord has sent everyone far away and the land is utterly forsakened. And though a tenth remains in the land, it will again be laid waste. But as the terebinth and oak leave stumps when they are cut down, so the holy seed will be the stump in the land." Isaiah 6:11-13


A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse; from his roots a Branch will bear fruit. Isaiah 11:1

8 comments:

  1. Very interesting thoughts...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:38 AM

    I'm also reminded of that scripture in Daniel:
    'Cut down the tree and trim off its branches; strip off its leaves and scatter its fruit. Let the animals flee from under it and the birds from its branches. But let the stump and its roots, bound with iron and bronze, remain in the ground, in the grass of the field.' Lol I didn't take down where it is in Daniel...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always to try to hold on to this thought during this time of year. It is so easy to forget, to overlook,so thank you for the poignant reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooops on the grammar. Sorry,

    I always try to ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful correlation. THank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mrs blythe - actually my thinking on stumps recently started there with the dream/prophecy of King Nebuchanezzar's seven (I think it was seven) year mental problem)...I considered using it here but felt I wanted this to have an advent flavor...that said...isn't reassuring that God doesn't allow us or His plan to be completely destroyed - even if he sets it aside for awhile in order to teach a lesson or two!!

    queenheroical - I was struck over the head for some reason when I read that verse during my Bible reading yesterday - who knows how many times I have heard it and yet this time it was as if someone beamed me with a two-by-four....

    ReplyDelete
  7. despite the stars hovering about your head, don't you love it when that happens

    ReplyDelete
  8. I may be being presumptuous but have you ever done a Jesse Tree Advent type thing. The premise is simple a study of scripture from the promise given in this scripture leading up to the birth of the Saviour.
    Here is a link to a book I am interested in getting, I thought you might like to check it out, if you haven't already.

    http://holyexperience.blogspot.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete