Thursday, May 17, 2012

something made AND a big scare


I made this clipboard recently to send to a friend whose little one likes the song "I will Make You Fisher's of Men." It was a fun project and I am very pleased with how it turned out.


The girl you see here gave me a good scare on Tuesday night. It happened while we were in the backyard waiting for the dogs to 'Do Their Duty.' To give you an idea about context let me tell you what 'Do Your Duty' entails, we have a small area covered with woodchips where we have always trained our dogs to go to the bathroom. Think doggie litterbox. In the past, training has been simple and we trained on leash. However, after tremendous frustration on the part of almost every single member of our six-member family, I fenced it last week.

Kei has it all figured out and is pretty good about doing what is expected of him. Yuuko has it figured out but isn't as interested  (or wasn't interested - we had a very interesting break through yesterday) in doing what is expected.

We often sit in lawn chairs while we wait. Typically, we write or draw. K had finished her letter to her pen pal. She had gotten bored and had wandered off. Suddenly she comes up to me and lays her head on my shoulder and asks me, "Is it broke?" Questions and statements with no context are part of K's m.o. Consequently, I have no idea what she is talking about. I wonder if she is hot and thinks she has a fever so I check her head and it is fine. I ask her what she means.

She says "I feel funny. Is it broke?"

"What feels funny?"

She is incoherent and faints but is up within five to ten seconds. I put her in the lawn chair and she starts wretching but is unable to bring anything up. After two or three bouts of dry heaves, she says she feels better.

Then she tells me that she was trying to practice a trick by standing on a ball and that she fell.

Suspecting a concussion, I take her to Urgent Care, where a nurse triages her and then sends us to the Emergency Room.

By the time we arrive at Mercy, you would never have guessed that anything had happened to her. She keeps running off and playing. When we see a doctor he checks her neurological function and her neck. He says she is fine but since I didn't actually see what happened, we should wake her up every four hours in the night.




It is a strange thing to see your child's eyes roll up in her head, to see her sway like grass in the wind, and then collapse. When she began wretching, I wondered if she had somehow gotten into the ant bait in the laundry room for our ant infestation (another fascinating trial in my life).

She is perfectly fine. She got to bed very late that night and so the task of waking her up every four hours was easy - it happened once, at two a.m. And, since my husband usually doesn't come to bed until four or five, I didn't have to do it.  For which, I am truly thankful.

Apart from being exceptionally affectionate, K was perfectly fine and loving yesterday. 

14 comments:

  1. Head injuries are the most scary in my opinion. So glad she is better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brings back the memory of when my 2 year-old fell out of her crib. She just was not ready for a big girl bed but was usually adept at getting out of her crib. I was in the kitchen. She was taking a nap. Instead of yelling for me to help her, she decided to get out herself and slipped. I heard the crash. She was fine too, but what a scare. You want them to be whole and, for a few minutes, they are not. We made the decision that she would sleep on the baby mattress on the floor until we felt she could handle the twin bed. I think it took another year. Hugs to you and to her. Breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How scary, so glad she is OK! Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad K is okay. I can identify with this...a few years ago we heard our daughter get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Then we heard clunk. She had passed out. We jumped up and she was babbling & kept passing out on us so we called 911. The police & EMTs came promptly--by that time she was better & we drove her to the ER. Turns out she was dehydrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be absolutely terrifying. I bet you are always reminding her to drink something now.

      Delete
  5. Oh how terrifying! So glad that she is fine. I'm sure you'll feel better in a few days...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness, what a fright! I hope all stays well - sounds like a bad scare. I hope you get some sleep too and aren't worrying too much. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh thank you Lord she is okay! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a strange little episode... I would have been very concerned and done exactly what you did! Too scary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Head injuries are so frightening, I always think of Natasha Richardson, I am so glad she is okay,
    I also visited the emergency room this week (might have been the same night as you - hence I've been quiet).
    We love our Little Fisherman, sits right beside me at this laptop. Hugs to you, I hope the dogs are behaving:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I'm so glad she is ok!! I'm sure you were scared to death
    Take care and I hope all continues to be well
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Internet ate my first comment, I think. When he was a toddler, my youngest fell off a bed. I picked him up, he cried and then fainted in my arms. It was terrifying. I called an ambulance and, by the time we reached the hospital, he was almost back to his usual self. It was the worst day of my life so far. I am so glad that your little one is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad to know she is fine. What a scary moment for you!

    PS...The clipboard is cute! Bet your little friend loves it. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh that is scary... so glad she is ok. Funny, I used to faint all the time when I was young, I have naturally low blood pressure (which as you get older you realise is a bonus actually), but I never thought about how my mum must have felt when I fainted.

    ReplyDelete