After their baskets I had to get in on the action. I made mine using sheet music and jute.
I used Mod Podge to paste my paper onto the container and I also added a couple of coats to the top of the paper to make it more flexible and less brittle.
The beige topped basket was my first one. You can see that the sides aren't real even. I don't know a lot about weaving but I thought that a tiny bit of a gap between the 'uprights' would improve this. So on the next two baskets, I cut a sliver of plastic out from between each upright cut.
I think adding a slight gap between each upright strip helped immensely.
Usually, I don't mind when whites/off-whites don't match but it bothered me with these baskets that the yellowed sheet paper contrasted with the white of the plastic container so I used hot glue to edge the baskets with some dollar bin trim I had on hand.
I am using them to store the girls' craft oddments (glue sticks, crayons, and scissors) in style in the living room.
I am going to shout out to Gail at that artist woman again. This is a really fun and satisfying project (I am thinking it would be fun to use fabric scraps to weave too). You can't beat free materials like yogurt containers.
Gail has loads of cool projects on her blogs and I am pretty sure you will find a few more of them here in the near future.
I will be sharing this at: