Monday, August 13, 2007

love letters from God: seeds



Gardening and planting seeds reminds me that there is a time that runs outside of my own time; a time where God arranges the seasons for everything. I am not patient person. Gardening has changed me. I am not more patient than I was before. However, the longer I garden the more I demand of myself that I endure the process. What I mean by enduring the process is that I do not cheat and buy full-grown plants and allow myself instant gratification. I want to plant the seed and watch the unfolding of life as God designed it to unfold.



To everything there is a season,
a time for every purpose under the sun.
A time to be born and a time to die;
a time to plant and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
a time to kill and a time to heal ...
a time to weep and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn and a time to dance ...
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to lose and a time to seek;
a time to rend and a time to sew;
a time to keep silent and a time to speak;
a time to love and a time to hate;
a time for war and a time for peace.
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

Favorite seed quotes:

“Everyone who enjoys thinks that the principal thing to the tree is the fruit, but in point of fact the principal thing to it is the seed. -- Herein lies the difference between them that create and them that enjoy.” Friedrich Nietzsche

The ultimate wisdom which deals with beginnings, remains locked in a seed. There it lies, the simplest fact of the universe and at the same time the one which calls faith rather than reason.
Hal Borland

"Though I do not believe that a plant will spring up where no seed has been, I have great faith in a seed. Convince me that you have a seed there, and I am prepared to expect wonders."...Henry David Thoreau

To read more love letters check out Wendy's special blog.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely thoughts, by use of the word seed.

    Mari-Nanci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:10 PM

    Beautiful. Seeds are indeed a wonderful gift and amazing. Interesting that the Lord has been speaking to me about seeds lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this post. Gardening is much about waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didnt see this yesterday, must've checked in before it was up. But I find this post ~~so~~ comforting Melissa. Its so easy to get caught up on our own timing, which is so fallible and changable...DEEP comfort to realize God's timing is stronger and holding things. I really loved this post : )

    Paix,

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete