Thursday, November 16, 2006

i finished two books


I finally finished Silence by Shusaku Endo and Home by Witold Rybczynski.

I wanted to quote you some of then end of Silence but the need for an extremely long quote to place the situation made that a poor idea. Let me only say that it is an extremely challenging book. It is an emotional kick-in-the-butt and not in a weepy chick-flick kind of way. I first read this book in college and has haunted me all these years. Now I have to write a book report for book club as I want to suggest it for our reading list. If you are interested, I will post the book report here.

I very much liked the end of the book Home.

Domestic well-being is too important to be left to experts; it is, as it has always been, the business of the family and the individual. We must rediscover for ourselves the mystery of comfort, for without it, our dwellings will indeed be machines instead of homes.

3 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to read 'Silence'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such beautiful photography. I haven't yet experimented with black and white, but I think you have inspired me to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, I guess that between you and Lisa, I better post the book report!!

    ReplyDelete